I wish that every human life might be pure transparent freedom - Simone de Beauvoir

Note: If this page opens on my post, A Vision of Hope, please click on the blog title, Loving The Wolf, for the latest updates.

I don't have time to update my blog very often, so please check my Twitter Feed below.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, August 9, 2008

    Loving The Wolf


    While thinking about the state of the world generally - inspired at least to some degree by both the stunning beauty of last night's 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony in Beijing (masterfully created by legendary one-time "dissident" Chinese filmmaker,
    Zhang Yimou),  and the moral and political complexities that accompany it - I was moved this morning to retitle this blog, Loving The Wolf, rather than A Wolf At The Door.

    I have also been reading Tsultrim Allione's wonderful book, Feeding Your Demons, a work greatly influenced by Chod (pronounced Ch'uh or Cho) Buddhism, a Mahayana Buddhist practice that involves not so much confronting your demons as embracing them and absorbing their power (a fascinating extract from the book is available on the website of Tricycle, a wonderful magazine that provides an "independent voice of Buddhism"), and this, too, fed into my desire to make the title of this blog more positive, in the hope that ultimately it will offer a positive, no matter how tiny, voice in the world.

    A third influence is that I have spent much of the past year adapting as a screenplay Toby Barlow's remarkable book, Sharp Teeth (a contemporary epic poem set in Los Angeles, no less), which involves dogs of all kinds and the men and women who can turn into them.  It provides a view of canines as a king of pre-moral primal force, and as both a dog-lover and a wolf-lover myself, I felt that the original title of this blog perhaps gave wolves a bad rep.

    Anyway, here it is: Loving The Wolf.  I hope to post to it a little more frequently than I have managed so far this year.  And for those of you who used to read Single Word, that blog is now private, since it contains so many family photographs.  There were a few general readers who seemed to love that blog and if they care to contact me at singleword@alexanderstuart.com, I will invite them to view it.

    No comments: